Pistons, Rods & 5.2 Mods

From: Rick Lewis (rick@solcomsystems.com)
Date: Sun Mar 08 1998 - 18:51:34 EST

Thanks to all for the input!

After much research (bugging the shit out of many manufacturers) I found
the following:

340 out of a 5.2 ?? : It could be done!

Pistons: Nobody besides MPI and Dodge makes anything that works in the
5.2. Keith Black has a flat top 360 piston that has ALL the right
dimensions but requires a 4" bore which would make the 5.2 wall JUST a
bit too thin. The 5.2 has a stock bore of 3.910 and It
<underline>would</underline> be sweet, but dangerous. Anyone want to try
it an let me know how it works?? Looks like I'll be going with a 30 over
custom set with 1/16 ZGS rings.

Stroking/Rods (in a non sexual context): A few companys make 6.125" rods
for SB Chevy applications with a 2.10" BE (Big End) as opposed to the
5.2s 2.25" BE. With a proper crank cut an additional .14" stroke could
easily be attained. The only other mod would be to get the BE width on
the Chevy rod (.97") cut down to the 5.2s (.93"). I have a shop that is
qualified and willing to do the work (for a good price!) and it would
give more stroke with a stronger, lighter rod but I as well don't think
the extra $1000+ is worth it. Looks like stock rods, shot peened,
magnafluxed with ARP bolts for another 100K miles.

Computer: Given that I won't be going to a significant displacement
increase I believe the MP HiPo box will be fine. Thanks to the great deal
of analysis done for 5.0s I've collected a lot of info on injector/fuel
pressure/HP/displacement requirements. A new inline high pressure/volume
fuel pump, adjustable regulator and some clean matched injectors should
do the trick!

Quench Height: I wish I'd checked the piston/deck height while doing the
disassembly. Seeing as that I'll most likely have a set of pistons made I
may be able to modify the quench height "if required". I have to watch
compression because with the MP HiPo computer I had a slight denotation
at times (particularly with Amoco 93) and more compression would only
make this worse.

Heads: That's stage 2, but what I'm sure of for now is: 1.7 Crowlers, MP
spring kit, at least 3 angles on the seats, a bit of port matching and a
good bowl cleaning (Tidy Bowl). Possibly larger valves, new guides. MP W2
aluminum heads will work on the Magnum block and only require an external
oil line mod but the $2500 price tag for a set of "drop ons" will keep
this from happening. Many have told me the stock heads, cleaned up, work
great!

Re: Swamp Buggy Dakota: Crack does terrible things to the mind, doesn't
it.

Re: Drag racing a 4x4 : Real short front tires and real tall rear tires
in 4H. That'll do it!

Cheers.... Rick

Rick Lewis

U.S. Technical Support Manager