Re: another open element question

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Mar 09 1998 - 11:29:25 EST

> > The question is... what is it and why is is so beat up
> >compared to the rest of the engine compartment?

> That Thingy is called a PCV valve.. If my memory servs me it is
> sort of a vent.

  Well, sorta. That pyramid-shaped thingy is the PCV breather. The
PCV valve is in the other valve cover.

> One of its jobs is to recycle fumes and hot air
> back into the enging... For the EPA you need it.. From what I have
> done in the past is to get rid of it..

  This is not good advice. Not only is the PCV system part of your
emissions package (making disabling it illegal, which is what you're
doing when you replace the breather with an open-air element), but
it can actually help the engine by helping to remove volatile impurities
from your crankcase. I don't know what effect breaking the pressure
loop like this will have on the system, but I don't think the disadvantages
outweigh any potential advantage.

  Ron