PCV (was another open element question)

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Tue Mar 10 1998 - 16:56:38 EST

Rader wrote:

> > Let me correct my previous statement.. When I said that I usualy get rid of
> > [PCV] failed to mention that there are aftermarket open air elements made to
> > plug into the PCV socket.
>
> Oh, I knew exactly what you were talking about (those breathers are all
> over the Jeg's and Summit catalogs). I'm just saying that by doing so, you
> break the pressure loop of the PCV system by directly venting to atmosphere.
> I am not convinced there are any benefits to this at all.
>
> Ron

The PCV system is supposed to force ventilation of the crankcase by
pulling filtered air in via the breather hose (from the air cleaner),
through the crankcase, lifter valley, valve covers, etc., and out
through the PCV valve and into the intake system to be reburned. Our
Magnums use an intake manifold vacuum port for connection to the PCV
valve in the right (passenger side) valve cover. During times of high
engine vacuum, a slight negative pressure is induced in the crankcase
and gases flow through the system into the intake manifold. During hard
acceleration with vacuum at its lowest and blow-by at its peak,
crankcase pressure can increase to a point where some gases are forced
out through the breather hose. The PCV valve is in place to prevent a
possible backfire through the intake system from igniting the crankcase
gases.

IMHO its best to keep the breather hose attached to the air cleaner. Not
only does this eliminate possible crankcase emissions (very important to
the EPA), but it also helps to reduce crankcase pressure and scavenge
these gases when there is little to no manifold vacuum to suck em
through the PCV valve. If you have an external crankcase breather filter
(you must have a filter unless you want to be constantly sucking dirty
air into you engine), and you drive it hard or the engine has some age,
you will constantly be cleaning oily residue from the engine around the
breather (this assumes that you care what the engine looks like). Been
there, done that.

jeff
98 RC 4x2 V8 5spd 3.55SG flares