Re: Re: Engine Dress up.

From: T & J (jan@bewellnet.com)
Date: Tue Mar 10 1998 - 22:28:41 EST

>From:Tim Roller<starwolf@bewellnet.com

>The only place to pick up a spare set of covers is from the salvage yard.
If not available just go to the dealer and get the stock painted style(the
magnum aftermarket style is pricey at $130.00 pair) They might even have a
used set lying around when someone else changed over. The reason is that the
chroming shop boils off any paint,grease, and other imperfections before
acid dipping and the many processes needed for chroming. The best bet for
finding a plating shop is to ask a motorcycle shop where they get their
chroming done or go to the yellow pages and look up plating shops. Beware
the prices and processing and time will differ between the shops. Also
they'll let you know if the V-covers are able to stand up to the plating
process- so go and let them check out the covers to be sure.This way you'll
save money by not buying the covers and finding that they can't be plated. I
myself, I'm going to hand polish a set of V-covers for my truck--takes time
and will not peel off and the lasting effects are worth it--aluminun is so
easy to work with.I've done it to many of my bikes over the years and you
can see the difference when all the imperfections are taken out.