Re: RAM or COWL ?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 23:31:20 EST

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, DodgeBoyz3 wrote:
> Rather than go into a long explanation of the two induction types, its what
> looks good to you that matters. The bottom line is the "Ram Air" is a (V)opar
> type hood. Cowl induction is GM. They both do the same thing.......supply cold
> air to the induction system.
>
> Ever see a CK truck w/ a (V)opar 6-pak scoop?
>
> I didn't think so.................

    I'm not sure that I agree. I believe that a vehicle should have the
bite to match its bark. Sure, I could get the Ram-air and feel like
a cool Mopar guy as the Chebby w/cowl induction in the next lane crosses
the line first... If anyone has any info that ram-air is more efficient
and will produce more power than cowl induction, speak up! :-) I'd
actually prefer to go with the ram-air from a looks point of view, but
not at the expense of all that extra nice cold air... Also, I believe
ram-air (and scoops in general) create drag and slow you down.
(Granted, we're talking about a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a
brick here, but still...) :-)

   BTW: I believe the NHRA Dakotas use cowl induction, although the
Avengers have those huge honkin' scoops...

  Now granted, I don't know as much as I'd like about this, but for me,
there is a lot more to this than looks alone. I have the same questions
as Mike C. and Robert T. about what would keep crap from Ram-Airring
right into my engine bay and my K&N? Also, Mike's question about
what happens with cowl induction when it starts raining has got me
wondering too. (Though I prefer water dripping through my engine
compartment to it being flung at my K&N at 55mph.) I'm not sure,
but I think that a ram-air would mostly aim the air at the air
cleaner, whereas a cowl induction would flood the entire engine
compartment, not only feeding cold air to the air cleaner, but
also drawing heat from the heads, headers, and the entire engine
in general.

   Surely someone somewhere must have done a study of cowl vs. ram
at some point? Anyone have any facts?

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; all opinions are my own.