RE: RAM or COWL ?

From: STRICKLAND, Tate (tstricklan@shl.com)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 07:16:20 EST

Can't help you with a study of ram vs. cowl, but I can tell you what
I've read about water getting to your breather. I was really concerned
about this when I put a relatively large forward facing scoop on my
first car, a '65 Mustang convertible. Right before I had it installed,
Hot Rod magazine had an article on scoops (in 1981 I believe) that
stated very clearly that unless you were pouring buckets of water
directly onto the breather, don't worry about water getting to your
breather via the scoop. Verbatim, they said "think of it as a cheap form
of water injection". High compression and water injection was pretty
popular back then if I remember correctly. I Had one of those triangular
Edelbrock foam filament breathers positioned directly under the hole in
the hood (big hole, about 12"x18") and never had a problem. A few bugs
on the breather/motor was the biggest inconvenience - washed them off
periodically.

Tate
97 rc 318 3.21