Ram Air/Cowl air

From: am14@chrysler.com
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 11:09:05 EST

Robert writes: >>Surely someone somewhere must have done a study of
cowl vs. ram at some point?

I haven't done a "study', but either will force air if located
properly, and if the correct plumbing is installed with either hood,
you will get "some" pressure (read ram). I doubt that either would
amount to very much noticable increase except in the very rarest of
conditions (read very high speeds @ WOT). If the scoop(s) are located
properly on the hood and have sufficient opening they would "seem' to
have an advantage due to the air not having to reverse to get into the
Carb/throttlebody, but GM has succesfully used the high pressure area
immediately in front of the windshield for cowl induction for several
years, so I'm sure it works to some extent.
I think personal taste take precedence here.
I once had a '69 Mach 1 SCJ with shaker hood(ram) and I don't know if
it helped at all or not, but I liked it. wish I still had it.

So much for my babling.

Azie
Ardmore, Al.