Re: RAM or COWL ?

From: David Brown (dbrown@mh1.mcis.uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 11:45:14 EST

Can't help you with a study of ram vs. cowl, but I can tell you what
I've read about water getting to your breather. I was really concerned
about this when I put a relatively large forward facing scoop on my
first car, a '65 Mustang convertible. Right before I had it installed,
Hot Rod magazine had an article on scoops (in 1981 I believe) that
stated very clearly that unless you were pouring buckets of water
directly onto the breather, don't worry about water getting to your
breather via the scoop. Verbatim, they said "think of it as a cheap form
of water injection". High compression and water injection was pretty
popular back then if I remember correctly. I Had one of those triangular
Edelbrock foam filament breathers positioned directly under the hole in
the hood (big hole, about 12"x18") and never had a problem. A few bugs
on the breather/motor was the biggest inconvenience - washed them off
periodically.
----------
I wouldn't worry about a little water getting into the engine through the ram
air system. Keep and eye and ear on it, and don't follow too close when it
rains.

Olds OAI (Outside Air Induction, forward facing) used a small drain hole in the
air cleaner, but it was used inconsistantly (some models only, some years only),
so I suspect there's not much of a problem. Some Pontiac OAI hoods came with a
deflector that you were supposed to put in place when it was raining.

My '96, and I'd suspect Dak's probably going back in years, use a plastic
deflector where the air hose connects to the front grill. I removed it (need to
take the front grill off - yeah!). I did put some window screen over it to keep
out bugs and other big stuff. The driver side of the rad core support is sort of
ready for another snorkel - the two piece support is punched for the snorkel
hole on one side. Just have to cut the hole, run a hose under the battery, and
get a dual snorkel air cleaner.

I'd suspect the deflector is an attempt to keep water, and other nasties out. I
haven't experienced any problems with it removed. No problems during rain,
getting water spray from cars & trucks, while raining and snowing. A little
water (a little) helps keep the combustion chambers clean. I'm no expert here,
but I've heard from many people and know about a number of engines that used
water and fluid injection as a way to keep detonation down.

The truck seemed to gasp for air with the deflector in place. This was before I
knew it was there. That whole square front end is a nice area of high pressure,
as is the cowl area. Good luck!

--
David Brown          Mailto:dbrown@mh1.mcis.uchicago.edu