Re: RAM or COWL ?

From: N2mopars (N2mopars@AOL.COM)
Date: Tue Mar 17 1998 - 20:16:07 EST

<< I think that ram air loses due to the eddy currents near the surface.
 Basically there is not that much high pressure near the hood surface. It
 is the same principle why golf balls fly farther with dimples instead of a
 smooth surface.

  While at my local speed shop, I saw a book entitled "How to build
horsepower, Part 2" by David Vizard. It had a whole section in it on forced
induction, like hood scoops, cowl induction, ram air, and the like. I was in
a hurry, didn't get any specifics, but read something about ram air not really
being effective until 300MPH, but it was the most aerodynamic. That was a
NACA style ram air hood scoop. Anyways, I am gonna go back and buy the book
soon. If anyone gets it sooner, let us all know what it says.

Brad