Timing Chains

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 19:34:49 EST

I would recommend using the MP heavy duty dual-row timing chain as a
replacement for the stock HiV when it's worn out. The MP chain uses
bicycle-like links that have rollers to reduce friction, and with the
double-wide links are plenty strong. One nice feature is having three
keyways cut in the crankshaft end gear, allowing you to set up the cam
at +/- 4 degrees, or at stock timing. With this feature, and offset
woodruff keys, you could achieve cam timing in one degree increments
from minus 6 to plus 6 degrees. And it's stronger than a bolt-adjustable
cam sprocket. Nice to know I could.

Oh - Mobil One does work. Remarkably clean inside the engine at 135,000 mi.
I change the oil about every 6000 miles, 8000 on the outside, 4000 after
a lot of dusty offroad use.

It's a happy truck now.

Jim