Re: 3.9 magnum valvetrain noise

From: pat sykes (mpsykes@erols.com)
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 19:33:24 EST

--------------05C759507B46ACA0AD22E204

I had the timing chain in my 88' done and the dealer (Clarke Motors inc.
Winchester Va.) said something about the tensioner and the chain
loosening itself up after it breaks in, that's why you need one. Man, go
for broke with ChryCo...they don't recall anything unless EPA or NATSA
tells them they have to...look at the paint on any older Dodge....I aint
getting my truck painted cuz' I'm waiting to get on ChryCo's case about
it..... GO FOR IT HOWIE!
-mike sykes

Howard Olson wrote:

> About a week ago ( and about 1300 messages ago) I posted a problem
> that I had with timing chain noise on my 93. After replacing the
> chain and gears the noisewas cured but returned two months
> later. According to Mopar Performance and the local Dodge Dealer,
> there is a TSB(technical service bulletin) issued that 1) acknowledges
> the problem 2) addresses the problem by prescribing a new timing set
> that utilizes a chain tensioner. (about 110 bucks, not a big deal
> but since it is a design problem, Chrysler should stand behind it
> in my opinion) The guy at the local dealership gave me an 800 number
> to see if I could do somebattle and see if they would at least cover
> the parts and I would install myself. I reached a customer service rep
> (read: low pay/uneducated and does not know a Viper from a Volkswagen)
> who was nice enough but indicated that no recalls hadbeen issued even
> though he aknowledged that there is a known problem. I may as well
> been calling General Motors.....hell....I KNOW there is a problem....I
> own one! And if a recall had been issued, I WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT IN!!
> As my son would say DUUUUUHHHHH!. If a company has a known design
> problem, has taken steps to identify a fix, you would think they could
> offer some financial assistance in correcting. Hell, Kawasaki gave me
> 300 bucks worth of parts on my wife's 5 year old jet ski when the CDI
> unit went to hell.....in the middle of a god-damned lake. If Kaw can
> do it for a toy, Chrysler ought to be able to do it on a guy's primary
> mode of transportation. Sure, 110 bucks is not a huge sum of money
> but.....what do these parts cost Chrysler? 40 bucks at the most.
> What is the price of an unsatisfied customer?Probably more than the 40
> bucks. I will be preparing a letter to formally ask for help in
> obtaining these parts, if anyone has had or has a similar problem with
> their 3.9, let me know as I would like toincorporate some numbers. I
> love my truck but if it sounds like a cement mixer, I may as well
> drive a Yugo. -The Duck (feathers slightly ruffled)

--------------05C759507B46ACA0AD22E204

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
I had the timing chain in my 88' done and the dealer (Clarke Motors inc.
Winchester Va.) said something about the tensioner and the chain loosening
itself up after it breaks in, that's why you need one. Man, go for broke
with ChryCo...they don't recall anything unless EPA or NATSA tells them
they have to...look at the paint on any older Dodge....I aint getting my
truck painted cuz' I'm waiting to get on ChryCo's case about it..... GO
FOR IT HOWIE!
-mike sykes

Howard Olson wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE> <FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>About a
week ago ( and about 1300 messages ago) I posted a problem that I had with
timing chain noise on my 93. After replacing the chain and
gears the noise</FONT></FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>was cured
but returned two months later.</FONT></FONT> <FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>According
to Mopar Performance and the local Dodge Dealer, there is a TSB</FONT></FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>(technical
service bulletin) issued that</FONT></FONT> <FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>1)
acknowledges the problem</FONT></FONT> <FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>2)
addresses the problem by prescribing a new timing set that utilizes a chain</FONT></FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>
tensioner. (about 110 bucks, not a big deal but since it is
a design problem,</FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=-1> Chrysler
should stand behind it in my opinion)</FONT> <FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>The
guy at the local dealership gave me an 800 number to see if I could do
some</FONT></FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>battle and see if
they would at least cover the parts and I would install myself.</FONT></FONT> <FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>I
reached a customer service rep (read: low pay/uneducated and does not know
a Viper from a Volkswagen) who was nice enough but indicated that no recalls
had</FONT></FONT><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>been issued even though
he aknowledged that there is a known problem.</FONT></FONT> <FONT SIZE=-1>I
may as well been calling General Motors.....hell....I KNOW there is a problem....I
own one! And if a recall had been issued, I WOULD HAVE TAKEN IT IN!!
As my son would say DUUUUUHHHHH!.</FONT> <FONT SIZE=-1>If
a company has a known design problem, has taken steps to identify a fix,
you would think they could offer some financial assistance in correcting.</FONT> <FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>Hell,
Kawasaki gave me 300 bucks worth of parts on my wife's 5 year old jet ski
when the CDI unit went to hell.....in the middle of a god-damned lake.
If Kaw can do it for a toy, Chrysler ought to be able to do it on a guy's
primary mode of transportation.</FONT></FONT> <FONT SIZE=-1>Sure,
110 bucks is not a huge sum of money but.....what do these parts cost Chrysler?
40 bucks at the most. What is the price of an unsatisfied
customer?</FONT><FONT SIZE=-1>Probably more than the 40 bucks.</FONT> <FONT SIZE=-1>I
will be preparing a letter to formally ask for help in obtaining these
parts, if anyone has had or has a similar problem with their 3.9, let me
know as I would like to</FONT><FONT SIZE=-1>incorporate some numbers.</FONT> <FONT SIZE=-1>I
love my truck but if it sounds like a cement mixer, I may as well drive
a Yugo.</FONT> <FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>-The Duck
(feathers slightly ruffled)</FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>

</BODY>
</HTML>

--------------05C759507B46ACA0AD22E204--