Re: Ion Headlights

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 15 1998 - 17:56:21 EST

>Robert G. Carmack wrote:
>
>> I checked out the Eurolights web page (www.eurolights.com) and emailed them
>> for some pricing. Does anyone know the laws or regulations concerning the
>> use of these types of lights. I did see a Mercedes with the blue/white ions
>> and I'll have to say that they were very distinct.

   Yep, the laws for these vary from state to state. NY's ruling on lights
is that they can't be above a certain candlepower. (I forget what the
number is, though I can look it up if anyone is interested.) This stuff
is all grouped in the Equipment section (part 375 or 376, I think). I'm
currently trying to wade through that garbage to find out wether my
taillight covers are illegal or not. Boy, they sure don't make it easy
to read, or easy to find information in there!!

   When my brother got a ticket for one of those neon license plate
frames, the ticket was for the candlepower thing... No mention of
color. (Though I do recall that there are some things about
color in there, especially regarding the rear end of the vehicle, I
think...)

  I have to update my copy though; I think it goes back to 95 or 96...
A copy of the state vehicle laws is a good thing to have, IMHO... Sort
of like the technical service manual. :-) Don't let them take advantage
of you!

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.