Sealed Beam vs Bulb type

From: Joe Dille (joe@dille.montgomery.pa.us)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 05:49:55 EST

Robert,

With sealed beam the bulb is the light assembly. You have to
change the whole thing. There used to be a law that made all cars
in the US have sealed beam headlights. I think it was changed in
the mid-80's. IMHO, it was a stupid law since it mandated a design,
not a performance level. I guess they figuted out that Europe had
been using halogen bulb type head lights for 20+ years and it was
working OK so they made it OK in the US.

The bulb type lights do allow the designers to put a different
light in each vehicle to match the styling and arodynamics. This
also makes it easire to change bulbs.

You can get more powerful lights for your bulbs. If they don't
have them in the car parts store, then try a motorcycle shop. You
can get up to 100 watts on the high beam!

Drive Safe,

Joe

>Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 19:32:17 -0600
>From: Robert Trottmann <rotrottmann@davidson.edu>
>Subject: DML: Sealed Beam vs Bulb Type
>
>I got an e-mail responce from eurolights.com that says my truck can
>either have sealed beams or bulb type. When my headlight went out, I
>went to wal- mart and replaced the bulb. So what's the difference btw
>Sealed Beam and bulb type. I'm assuming I've got bulb type, 'cause I
>was able to change my bulb. (or is that too simple?)
>Thanks,
>- --
>Mailto:rotrottmann@davidson.edu
>http://thelma.davidson.edu/rotrottmann/web/default.htm