Re: Sealed Beam vs Bulb type

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Wed Mar 18 1998 - 12:13:51 EST

At 04:49 AM 3/16/98 , you wrote:

>With sealed beam the bulb is the light assembly. You have to
>change the whole thing. There used to be a law that made all cars
>in the US have sealed beam headlights. I think it was changed in
>the mid-80's. IMHO, it was a stupid law since it mandated a design,
>not a performance level. I guess they figuted out that Europe had
>been using halogen bulb type head lights for 20+ years and it was
>working OK so they made it OK in the US.

The reason the law mandated sealed beams for so long is because that's what
U.S. manufacturers (GE, Westinghouse etc.) were making and they were paying
lawmakers big bucks to keep the competition illegal. It's the same reason
that the rest of the world was enjoying the benefits of radial tires while
we were still stuck with inferior bias ply tires. They don't care about
safety or what's better. They only care about their bottom line. Sucks,
don't it?

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed