Re: Front tire wear on 98 4x2

From: Marc Robertson (marc@blackberry-ridge.com)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 15:29:40 EST

Bruce Aaron Hefner wrote:

> I would like to know exactly how you adjusted your toe-in using twine.....
>
> Bruce

I just set out 4 jackstands, ran twine along each side of the truck,
measuring with a steel tape until I was reasonably sure I had a
rectangle that was square with the truck. I then adjusted each tie rod
until the toe-in was virtually zero (each front wheel was parallel to
the string) AND the steering wheel was square with the world. I kept
track of what I had done to each tie rod so that if I discovered that I
had dug myself into a hole, I could return to where I started. It
probably won't compare to a professional alignment, but it has worked
well and eliminates leaving the truck somewhere for a day only to be
told that "the alignment is within specs".

Marc Robertson
marc@blackberry-ridge.com
'94 V6 4X2 SLT