Re: alignments

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Tue Mar 17 1998 - 14:24:39 EST

> > I'm still wondering how easy DIY alignments are, with measuring devices
> > at shadetree mechanic prices.

> Check out: http://www.smartcamber.com/

  I did, when this site was mentioned before (thanks for the info). In order
to deduce caster and camber (no toe-in), it appears that one would require:

SmartCamber tool US$199.95 (I believe that includes the SmartTool level module)

There were no prices listed for the frame alone, assuming I could find the
SmartTool at a local home improvement warehouse.

  Their laser toe gauge costs US$769.90.

  Now, $200 is a bit steep, but is at the upper range of what I consider
"shadetree mechanic prices." $770 is right out. I'm still hoping there
are other tools available for less than $200. The only catalog I've got which
does have that sort of thing is JC Whitney. Maybe it would be good to shell
out $70 or so and decide whether it is worth it to get better equipment.
I'm just looking for something with consistent accuracy better than my eyeball.

  OK, have any of you actually USED these tools to DIY align?

  Ron