rear axle whine

From: JCALLENDS (JCALLENDS@AOL.COM)
Date: Wed Mar 18 1998 - 12:57:33 EST

between 40 and 50 mph on my '98 4x2 Dak. ..........
 I also have a whine in my 98, between 40 and 45 mph with the accelarater
down, but not with my foot off the pedal. Sound is much more noticeable on the
right side than left. Don't know the source, axle, drive shaft, rear end,
tranny, carrier bearing, U-joints , or whatever. Since I had planned for some
time to leave for Florida two weeks after receiving my 98 on Dec. 17, I have
yet to tell my home dealer. Since that time the whine has never changed. Will
talk to dealer in early April. Been late reading my mail or I would have
replyed sooner.

    Jack Collins Older than old!---- 87 DAK LE with 225,000+
miles.......98 DAK SLT CC with 4,000+ miles.