Re: Re: Front tire wear on 98 4x2

From: Jerry Jackson (jacksonj@cyberramp.net)
Date: Thu Mar 19 1998 - 20:44:32 EST

I just checked and I now have 2200 miles on the new set of tires and
alignment. The outside edge round over problem is not there - the front
and rear tires are about the same. However, there is some feathering, not
much, but probably should not be there considering the age of the car
(nothing should be significantly worn at 13000 miles). It looks about
equal
right to left. This suggests there possibly still is a toe-in or toe-out
problem.
Another possibility is understeer. This vehicle has always demonstrated
that
problem, especially before the zero toe alignment. Maybe the engine sits
too
heavy on the front end. Another culprit there may be the stock wheels,
they
may have too much positive offset, creating a large scrub radius. This
might
also explain the heavy steering feel that has always been there. Does
anyone
else have an informed opinion about this? The part I find strange is, the
feathered edge of the tread is on the leading edge, which in my way of
thinking is contrary to the notion that the tire may be being "pushed"
through
turns.

Otherwise, Jeff, I think the zero toe setting is helping a lot, because
with the
original settings, the outside edge should be half worn out by now. The
new
tires are Bridgestone Dueller H/Ps, 235/70/15 (yes Virginia, they are the
same
radius as stock and they don't scrub any of the suspension components).
They are heavier than the stock Invictas.

By the way, Western Chassis is 2 weeks away from releasing their lower
A-Arm, which will lower the new Dakota 2". According to the guy at Sport
Truck direct, they don't do anything else for he stock front end geometry.