Checkmate tonneau cover

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 17:52:16 EST

  I called Checker products today for some info on their flush mount
hard tonneau covers.

   You have to drill 12 small holes for the install; it isn't a clamp-on.

   The guy on the phone did not recommend the quick-release hinges
unless you plan on taking the cover off A LOT. (Apparently they aren't
as sturdy.) The quick release hinges are "tabs". I assumed they were a
piano type hinge with a bar that just pulls out, but they aren't. To
remove the cover with the quick release hinges, you release the struts,
and you pick up on the cover until it is nearly vertical. The cover will
press against the front of the truck and will pop out of the hinges. The
cover will not conflict with an under-the-rail bed liner, except maybe
at the front where the hinges are. He said you might have to cut the
cover a little bit in order to attach the hinges to the truck, depending
on what kind of liner you have. The struts are gas, not springs. If
you lift up on the cover, it'll come up the rest of the way by itself.

  The price for the Dakota is $309, and shipping would probably be about
$50-60.

  FYI.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.