Re: New and need some help...

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Fri Mar 20 1998 - 17:54:14 EST

Matt,

See comments below...

mpnhl@gti.net wrote:

> Here it is I'll try to be breif....I have a 98 Dakota sport 4X4 with
> 5.2L(318)....it has 5 speed manual Trans, Heavy duty Cooling and
> electrical, 3.92 rear....All 5 reports of this problem are said to be set
> up like this Automatics do not have this problem....
>
> The problem is this when I decelerate from 2500rpm to idle or any lower rpm
> the truck backfires or makes a popping noise....the Dealer has replaced the
> muffler, Cat, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, PCM, and all with no fix....Now
> they!
> t!
> ell me that Chrysler has only 5
>
> complaints of this Nation Wide and no
> fix is now available the belief it is PCM related...(spikes are seen on the

I have a 98 4x2 v8 5spd 3.55sg, do not have the HD service group, and
about 2500 miles on it. I get some snap crackle pop whenever I
decelerate as you described above. It is especially noticeable if I'm in
one of the lower gears (3rd or lower). I've not noticed any serious
backfiring though (I assume you meant exhaust backfires), just medium
loud rumbling and poping. I'm sure this will get louder when I install
an aftermarket exhaust.

Are these the noises you are describing, or do get real bang-bang type
backfiring - the kind that sounds like its going to blow the muffler
off? My Dak's rumbles and pops are nowhere near that bad.

> problem will bring in the long run...If anyone knows how I might be able to
> obtain Technical Support Bulletins myself or request Chrysler to work on
> this problem so a TSB would be released please forward the

TSBs can be found on the Alldata and NHTSA web sites.

http://www.alldata.tsb.com
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Good luck.

jeff