Re: New and need some help...

From: Matt and Heather (mpnhl@gti.net)
Date: Sat Mar 21 1998 - 10:01:12 EST

OK lets see I would say it started of as a poping and normal rumble and
when I brought it in they told me it was normal then as I continued to tow
my horses --the trailer is 6500lbs....the noise would get worse...now any
time from 2500rpms to the bottom the thing will snap, pop and bang(all not
very serious like a TRUE backfire) its way to idle but it is loud enough
that people will look around and ask whats up with the truck it looks bran
new...I have driven 5 other trucks that the dealer had on the lot all pop a
bit but not thru the entire decl. rpm band like mine does.....I brought it
back and the dealer agrees it is now NOT NORMAL....the computer snapshots
show all types of spikes on the Map and on the O2sensor....Now they said I
have to wait and see if they re-write the computer programing......but also
think its highly unlikly until others show up with the same problem....and
now one knows what avers affects this will have on the truck in the long
run...
Hope this helps you out a bit if you are any consernd my problem became
most noticeable at about 4200miles....all you would have to do is have the
dealer take "snapshots" of the comptuer when the poping happends and then
they will be able to tell if its normal or not.
Thanks for the info.
Matt

>Matt,
>
>See comments below...
>
>mpnhl@gti.net wrote:
>>
>> Here it is I'll try to be breif....I have a 98 Dakota sport 4X4 with
>> 5.2L(318)....it has 5 speed manual Trans, Heavy duty Cooling and
>> electrical, 3.92 rear....All 5 reports of this problem are said to be set
>> up like this Automatics do not have this problem....
>>
>> The problem is this when I decelerate from 2500rpm to idle or any lower rpm
>> the truck backfires or makes a popping noise....the Dealer has replaced the
>> muffler, Cat, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, PCM, and all with no fix....Now
>> they!
>> t!
>> ell me that Chrysler has only 5
>>
>> complaints of this Nation Wide and no
>> fix is now available the belief it is PCM related...(spikes are seen on the
>
>I have a 98 4x2 v8 5spd 3.55sg, do not have the HD service group, and
>about 2500 miles on it. I get some snap crackle pop whenever I
>decelerate as you described above. It is especially noticeable if I'm in
>one of the lower gears (3rd or lower). I've not noticed any serious
>backfiring though (I assume you meant exhaust backfires), just medium
>loud rumbling and poping. I'm sure this will get louder when I install
>an aftermarket exhaust.
>
>Are these the noises you are describing, or do get real bang-bang type
>backfiring - the kind that sounds like its going to blow the muffler
>off? My Dak's rumbles and pops are nowhere near that bad.
>
>> problem will bring in the long run...If anyone knows how I might be able to
>> obtain Technical Support Bulletins myself or request Chrysler to work on
>> this problem so a TSB would be released please forward the
>
>TSBs can be found on the Alldata and NHTSA web sites.
>
>http://www.alldata.tsb.com
>http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov
>
>Good luck.
>

>jeff
>98 rc 4x2 v8 5spd 3.55sg flares fipk

------
"...I never had any large respect for good spelling...Before the
spelling-book came with its arbitrary forms, men unconsciously revealed
shades of their characters and also added enlightening shades of expression
to what they wrote by their spelling..."
- Mark Twain's Autobiography