5-speeds and speed shops

From: E. Frank Ball III (frankb@sr.hp.com)
Date: Mon Mar 23 1998 - 13:56:40 EST

* How strong is the stock 5-spd?
* What are the 5-spd's gear ratios?

Very strong. The NV3500 is also used on the RAM 1500 with the 5.2L. A
couple guys on the list broke a shifting fork, that is the weak link,
otherwise there have been no problems reported. I don't know the ratios
offhand (they are at home in the manual), but it is a wide ratio
transmission. It doesn't shift quickly, I think that's why a couple of
folks here had trouble, they were forcing shifts during drag racing. It
is a truck transmission, it doesn't feel or shift like a sports car.

* Do the manual trans models have a hydraulic clutch?

Yes.

* Is the auto trans worth the extra $900?

Not to me. You lose 1-2 mpg and the overdrive unit has a lot of
expensive failures (the 5 speed is more reliable from what I've heard).
If you want to get serious about drag racing get the auto and get it
modified. If you want a work truck get the 5-speed.

* Are there any parts houses specializing in Dak speed parts?
MPI: http://www.rswilson.com/ram/midway/mpi/mpi1.html

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD