Re: DIY Ram Air

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Mon Mar 23 1998 - 13:59:25 EST

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:49:29 -0600 Jack Snodgrass wrote:
>If you wanted to do your onw RAM Air system for you dak.... could you?
>
>I was thinking that a 14 inch, closed air cleaner might make up the
>base
>unit. Inside you could put a 10 inch K&N filter.
>
>Besides the base... you'd need 2, 3" pices of flexible air duct. What
>would
>you use for that?
>
>If you had the air duct... where would you route it to get a clean,
>cold
>air source? I really hate the idea of cutting sheet metal in my new
>truck.
>
>How would you connect the 3" round hose the side of a 2" to 3" metal
>air cleaner?
>
>I guess that spending $140 for a pre-built unit might be more cost
>effective,
>but this seems like it shouldn't cost more than $50.
>
>Also... with Ram Air in generall.... do you have to worry about water
>geting
>thrown into the system? What happens when it rains or you go through a
>puddle? Will the engine stall... and worse... will the engine 'break'
>if you
>toss water into the air intake?
>
>Thanks.

Jack-

Again, check out Scott Miller's home page. He's already done this and
gives you complete, detailed instructions. Address: http://
members.tripod.com/~racetruck

As far as water, etc. this has been discussed on previous posts and
doesn't appear to be aproblem unless there's a fire hose aimed at you.
HTH
Richard in San Antonio

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]