slow speed vs. mileage --was mileage

From: William J. Romberg (wromberg@vt.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 27 1998 - 01:14:07 EST

Probably some truth to this slow speed mileage calculation thing. When I
was driving down to grad school from Alaska last year, I made the mistake
of forgetting to stop for gas at one point and ended up being 70 miles from
a gas station in either direction with 340 miles on the trip odometer of my
'95 4x4 (V-6, 5-speed). Knowing it would be a long wait (or trip) for gas
if I ran out, I dropped my speed to 35mph hoping to make it to the next
station. Despite being loaded absolutely to the gills with stuff and
having to go through the mountains of Yukon, I made it to the next station
under my own power with just over 411 miles on the trip odometer. It was a
long, 2 hours with many "just get me over the next hill" prayers, but I
made it. Put 21.1 gallons in the tank and kept on heading south. Have
never driven slow enough to match that mark since, but someday when I have
a 5 gallon can in the back, I want to see just how far it will go at 60mph.

Bill Romberg

'95 Sport 4x4, Extended cab with 3.9L V6, 5-speed manual transmission, Bac
Pac High Rise shell with Yakima Rack, Accel 9000 performance wires/plugs,
Mopar hood shield, fog lights, 22-gal tank, 235/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler
tiers on stock aluminum rims.