Re: '98 Dakota 5.2L with a ticking noise

From: Keredt (Keredt@AOL.COM)
Date: Sat Mar 28 1998 - 19:54:57 EST

<<
 Thanks everyone for your responses to my previous post. One thing that I
notice about my '98 5.2L (318c.i.) engine is that from idle to about 1500 rpm
I can hear a slight "ticking" noise. When I am inside the cab with the
windows up I cannot hear it at all. is this sound normal for the 5.2L? Is it
a lifter, or the fuel injectors firing? My mileage is 395, will this tend to
abate when the engine breaks in? BTW: I plan to change the oil at 500 miles.
Should I use conventional oil until the motor breaks in, or is it O.K. to go
to synthetic right away? Thanks in advance for your replies!

 Michael Reynolds >>
Why change your oil at 500 miles? The oil in the engine from the factory is
the Highest quality oil you engine will ever see! Wait till you get to the
oil change point 3k - 4k miles then switch it.

Keredt

97 CC 2wd
SLT+ 5.2L auto
3.55 LSD DDBC T/H pkg.