spark plugs

From: E. Frank Ball III (frankb@sr.hp.com)
Date: Wed Apr 01 1998 - 18:12:43 EST

} > The problem here is that the NGK will probably cross reference to the
} > RC12YC and not directly to the RC12LC4 which uses a longer core nose (the L
} > part of the #).
}
} I'm having trouble understanding the verbal description of "longer core
} nose." Does it refer to a longer threaded portion of the plug, or is there
} some difference in the center electrode causing it to extend through the
} plug end further than the RC12YC? The latter doesn't make sense to me,
} as it would seem to imply a hotter heat range.

There are extended core plugs that put the electrodes farther out into
the combustion chamber. This is independent of the heat range, that is
controlled by connecting the insulator to the body not as far down
inside the bottom recess of the plug.

} > I have tried those Autolite platinums and was not impressed at all. They
} > use a small raised portion on the center electrode (the platinum
} > supposedly) that wore down very quickly with me.
}
} Hmmm, thanks for the warning. Were these the double or single platinums?
} If I do bother to try them out, I plan on the double platinums. But I will
} definitely heed your advice to check for wear after a few thousand miles.

I have heard nothing but bad reports about Bosch platinums. Autolites
and others are not such a skinny electrode. I always just bought the
regular (cheap) style plugs myself. NGK or Autolite are both good.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD