RE: Subwoofer Enclosure

From: Collins, Richard (collinsr@ccmangum.com)
Date: Wed Apr 01 1998 - 22:00:25 EST

Bazookas are ok, but I've never heard one that could compete with a good
box setup. Most are too boomy for my tastes. I like lots of PUNCH to
my bass which is why I generally like sealed boxes over bandpass or
ported. They do work though. I used to have an 8" tube in the trunk of
an old car and it was definitely better than no sub at all. Still, 2
good 12s in a proper box using a crossover will always sound better than
a tube in my opinion.

As far as a box for the rear seat, I'm thinking of doing 3 rockford DVC
12's in the rear of mine. I can't decide yet exactly what style box to
use, but I'm leaning toward a slot load box with the slot firing at the
floor. I want to trim the box in vinyl with an embossed RAM head on it!
woo hoo! I heard a slot load box in a cherokee with 6 dvc 10s in it
and he was hitting over 150db! Dunno how low the 3 12s will be, but I
know they'll be over 140 cuz 2 in a sealed box will get over 140 in a
competition environment. If you're looking for subs with low air space
requirements that'll take a fairly hefty amount of wattage, look at the
DVCs. They rock for under $200 per sub!

Richard Collins
collinsr@ccmangum.com
98 SLT+ CC 5.2L FIPK