Re: Re: 3.9 gas mileage sucks

From: Jason & Norah (janor@ican.net)
Date: Thu Apr 02 1998 - 21:34:16 EST

At 11:00 AM 4/2/98 -0600, Bert.W.Loy-1 wrote:
> I used to have a 92 dakota cc 4x4 with the 3.9/5spd and I managed
>anywhere from 14 to 20 miles/gallon. I usually stomped on the gas once
>in a while, on every tank. I even had 31" mud tires too. The only mods
>were a k&n filter and a glasspack muffler.
>
> Bert.

How well did the 31" tires fit? I've heard conflicting reports. Some say
they fit okay with only minor rubbing (assuming one installs 7"-wide rims),
and some say 31s won't fit without cranking the torsion bars up and adding a
leaf to the rear springs. Personally, I think it probably depends on how
much your suspension has sagged over the years, but I'm always interested in
hearing from those who have done it.

As for gas mileage, I have a '95 4x4 also with the V6/5 speed/3.9 axle, a
K&N stock replacement filter and a soft tonneau cover, and I usually get
between 16-18 mpg. Depends on how much highway driving I'm doing. I can
get almost 20 if I'm careful. I dragged a U-Haul trailer across the country
and got about 16.5 for the whole trip. Whoever it was who was seeing the
low mileage (sorry, I deleted the original message and can't remember who
sent it), I sure hope you figure out what's going on with your truck. I'm
inclined to think something's not quite as it should be.

Jason