RE: Lowering....spindles vs. control arms -Reply

From: Michael Z-Sykes (MSykes@su.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 03 1998 - 08:27:53 EST

heyya'll, the Dak under the chopping block here is an 88'. From reading
Truckin for years, I am sorta' sold on spindles. I'm looking at a 2" spindle
and a three inch shackle/hanger. The reason fpr the 3" as opposed to 4"
is because a frame notch is monetarily out of the question for a while. I
hear the Western Chassis rear stuff is adjustable, and I know of at least
one Dak on the LIst that has this kit. Good Idea? What do you think?
-mike
88V6LE3.55

>>> Lance Martz <LanceM@mcmullenargus.com> 04/01/98 01:49pm >>>
NOT NECESSARY TO USE UPPERS AND LOWERS
If you check out most lowering kits that use a control arm, you'll find
that it is either an upper or a lower, not both. Lifting and lowering
included. The new Western Chassis Components use lower control
arms, the
only way to go for the new Daks. They state that a spindle would have
cost 3-4 times the amount to manufacture. My ride is excellent and
accounts for a 5-and-7-inch drop complete with c-notch. True, the fact
that suspension geometry changes, but what do you call a lowered
suspension? STOCK ??? I hardly thing so. The relationship between
components changes as soon as you lower the truck, just check out
your
ball joints, sway bar angle and upper control arms, they have all
changed.
A FIX TO THE PROBLEM
To fix the woes of lowering the truck, something drastic was needed.
The
control arm does work, and it does so extremely well. Look for an
article on this product soon. I trusted it enough to bet my $25,000
initial investment (now up to approximately $42,000 with upgrades) on
it. The option on a new Dakota is a pair of coil springs that will
produce bump-steer and make driving your truck a nightmarish
experience.
It's your choice.

Lance L. Martz
LanceM@mcmullenargus.com