Re: 3.9 gas mileage sucks -Reply

From: Michael Z-Sykes (MSykes@su.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 03 1998 - 08:57:49 EST

Try getting a better flowing exhaust system. It's a little pricey, and hard to
find, but worth it. I get around 20 on the highway, sometimes 21 if I keep
it under 75. This is on a 200 mile trip home, tailgate up, no tonneau, and
wide tires.
here's what I got
Universal High Flow cat from Summit around $60 (plus 40 install)
Flowmaster Muffler- $110
Custom pipes (not stainless) and labor- $140
-if I had got the cat stuck on at the time of instalation of the rest of the
exhaust, I would've saved 40 bucks! Just a thought, hope this helps
-mike

>>> "Bert.W.Loy-1" <Bert.W.Loy-1@ou.edu> 04/02/98 12:00pm >>>
>
> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 23:46:59 +0000
> From: mdm@tampabay.rr.com
> Subject: Re: DML: 3.9L gas mileage sucks
>
> > ok well here is my V6 problem....I own a 93 Dakota Sport 4x4 with
the
> > V6 and no matter how light I am on the throttle or how hard I am, I
cannot
> > seem to clear 10-12 MPG's! The truck now has 85,000 miles on it and
runs
> > great but I am getting broke on this crappy mileage! Any sugs??? I
have
> > 3.55 gears and an auotmatic tranny, I do all the maintanence on it,
> > including all the oil changes and tune ups. I just need help with this
> > mileage crisis!!!
>
> I can't really do anything but concur....I have a 92 Dak Sport Reg
> Cab 4x2 V6 Auto with 36,000 miles and get like 12MPG....
> PS-Would there be a lot of difficulties in putting a V8 into this
> truck? Money, incompatibilities, etc?
>
> - -Mike
> Tampa, FL

        I used to have a 92 dakota cc 4x4 with the 3.9/5spd and I
managed
anywhere from 14 to 20 miles/gallon. I usually stomped on the gas once
in a while, on every tank. I even had 31" mud tires too. The only mods
were a k&n filter and a glasspack muffler.

         Bert.