RE: Subwoofer Enclosure -Reply

From: Michael Z-Sykes (MSykes@su.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 03 1998 - 09:15:36 EST

okay, easily explained- in a slot box, the bass builds up in the empty
chamber in the back of the box, bounces around for a bit amplifying the
frequency, then spits it out real loud. Not real tight, though. If you want
tightness, go for a sealed encloser. It's a toss up, you can't have your
cake and eat it too, meaning this- you have to sacrifice tightness for
Boominess, the inbetween does sound good however, but for those of
us anal types like me, or those who listen to Jazz and Rock, tight bass is
where it's at, if you listen to rap, go with BOOM!
hope this helps=
-mike

>>> "Collins, Richard" <collinsr@ccmangum.com> 04/02/98 04:29pm >>>
A slot load box is very similar to a bandpass box. Usually the slot is
very large. I'm no ASCII artist, but if you view this in a fixed width
font you should get the idea.

________
| |
|\ |
| \_ |
| | |
| - |
| / |
|/ |
|____ |

________|

The idea is that the low frequencies "load" up in the back of the box
and the slot and then "dump" out very lowdly! : ) I haven't built one
yet, but I've seen 2 and have loved the way they both sounded. Again,
I'm just going on what the guy that built them told me but the sound was
great in the two I saw/heard.

Another idea I though about was doing a box the width of the rear cab
and having it look like this (view from above)
 ______
|/\/\/\|

with a woofer on each of the angled portions for a total of 6 subs each
with its own sealed chamber. Of course you don't have to do 6, you
could do 4 with just 2 notches instead of 3. Anyway, it would require a
taler box to allow enough airspace but if you want competition level
sounds it would get you there and you might could make it small enough
to still be able to sit on once you took out everything below the box.
Again, just another thought.

Richard Collins
collinsr@ccmangum.com
98 SLT+ CC 5.2L FIPK