RE: Subwoofer Enclosure -Reply

From: Nicholas McKinney (nickmckinn@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Apr 07 1998 - 15:54:17 EDT

Hmmm, a "slot box" with the driver mounted as is shown in the ASCII below
is nothing more than a ported enclosure. They both have "tubes" that act
as Helmholtz resonators. Think of a "jug band" where the guy blows across
the mouth of a bottle to create sound. You are in fact exciting the air in
the "tube" with the Helmholtz process. Now the main difference with the
slot design is that the tuning frequency is relatively high due to the
large frontal surface area of the slot. All ported enclosures are 4th
order highpass systems.

4th order Bandpass systems are sealed *2nd order* highpass enclosures with
an additional *mechanical/acoustical* 2nd order lowpass filter. Both are
totally different beasts. The 4th order bandpass is more related to the
2nd order sealed enclosure than to the ported.

>From my observations rap style bass (any one main bass note stuff for that
matter, there is alot of other music like this also) since the main bass
rhythm does not cover as far of a frequency spread as jazz, etc. you can
get away with the *one note* characteristic of most ported and bandpass
enclosures, and they do have some advantages in these situations. Only my
opinion though.

Nicholas

           Nicholas McKinney
Applied Industrial Technology, Inc.