Re: outer edge feathering

From: Tony Mastres (mastres@id.ucsb.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 28 1956 - 01:31:18 EDT

>Possibly 15x7 wheels, V8, no upgrade suspension..who knows. Sounds like the
>4x4s and off road tires don't do this. Different geometry there. There has
>to be an answer, and it is not the usual obvious stuff. If it was just
>me....but many others are having this problem, and some dealers acknowledge
>the problem with some trucks (97+).

I have a 97 4x4 and the feathering was a REAL problem when the truck was
brand new
(Jan 97). I rotate the tires (Wranglers) every 5k and that seems to have
slowed down the wear. I think when the tires are new and more "squared off"
the wear is more obvious but as they are worn in it slows down. I've got
about 20k on mine so far and they look about like I'd expect at 20k for
this type of tire. But when they were new at 3k they looked like 10k of
wear. I'm estimating about 35k-40k of life from them.

Tony J. Mastres
Photographer
Photographic Services __
1120 Kerr HAll UCSB []_.-' (Q,___\