Re: Ft end Geometry

From: Jerry Jackson (jacksonj@cyberramp.net)
Date: Sat Apr 04 1998 - 08:30:10 EST

Your assessment assumes the factory designed the front suspension for the Reg Cab,
and did not redesign to correct the Ackerman for the CC. I find this hard to
believe. (the Corvair had this problem, which was amplified when Street Rodders
tried to use the bolt-in suspension on old cars) But it raises the question, maybe
the front spindles on some CCs are the wrong part. However, I think some Reg Cab
owners are having this problem too, so that fact probably rules out different part
#s for two different spindle sets. Besides, take a look at the various wheel
bases used on the GM trucks (Blazer, Short Bed, Long Bed, CC with short or long,
Suburban, Crew Cabs, etc). I don't know how many of those may be interchangeable
in terms of the frame, but I bet there are at least three different wheel bases
there. I have not seen any GM truck since 1973 that had unusual wear problems
associated with anything other than poor maintenace or worn out tires or shocks,
etc. Straight axles always cup, however in my experience.

For all you folks out there who are recommending rotate, rotate - do you rotate
every 200-300 miles? I doubt it, and that is what it would take in my case, if
that is the problem. Have serious doubts. BTW, never has the dealer remarked
that rotation was the problem. I wish now I had taken pictures of the problem
with the original tires. It would be most telling, it can't be described in
words.

The factory literature was rather verbose about the redesigned front front
suspension, tight turning radius, etc. I think positive offset wheels, poor scrub
radius, and just normal turning at street corners with an apparent bad geometry is
the culprit. Hell, I've even take to making wide turns to avoid the tighter
turning radius. Nothing helps so far except the 0-0 alignment. But I don't like
the feel of driving a boat at 75 mph.