Re: Aftermarket rims/tires and ABS

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 09:16:43 EDT

> Question: Does installing aftermarket rims and larger tires on the 97
> and up Daks affect the truck's ABS system?

  I don't know for sure, as it really depends on how complex the Dakota's
ABS is (my guess is not very).

  If the ABS attempts to extrapolate skid based on tire speed (so that the
brake pulses occur before the tire actually begins to skid), you may have
a problem. In any case, I'd be concerned that it didn't cut in while you
were skidding around. I would run some diagnostics if I were you.

  I have no idea whether this helps or hurts ABS, but when it's slick around
here, I often purposely engage my rear-only ABS in the parking lot. That way
I get a sense for when the system engages, and what the truck feels like when
it does. Maybe pumping fluid through the system is a reasonable preventive
maintenance measure?

  Ron