Re: Whatz-up with the Horn

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Thu Apr 09 1998 - 16:53:39 EDT

> I am extremely offended that you would insult fine German
> craftsmanship....oops, wrong thread.

  Ahhhh, shaddap.

> On the other
> hand, JC Whitney offers an interesting looking air horn, a miniature
> version of the kind used on semis. Anyone have any experience with these,
> how they sound etc?

  I used the cheapo air horns with the loudest rating (supposed to be ~130dB,
but I don't buy it) on my boat. They are cheap (~$20), they have an on-demand
compressor which takes some time to really crank up, but they are Loud. The
tone is a bit on the shrill side, if you were expecting that big rig air horn
sound. But they were only $20 and small enough not to pose any mounting
problems.

  If you have big bucks ($200-300) and want to drill holes in your Dak's roof,
Whitney will sell you REAL semi air horns, actuated with a rooftop lanyard, but
installing the compressor, tank, lines, and horns would be a bitch.

  Ron