exhaust leaks and torque

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Thu Apr 09 1998 - 02:23:10 EDT

Sam P. you still monitor the list? Didn't you say once that you had a
small exhaust leak in your 91 once and that when you fixed it you gained
back a considerable ammount of torque? Well, I just did the same thing.

Some of you may remember me asking about the Doug Thorley crosover pipe
banging the frame a while back. Well today I just had enough of it so
up on the jack stands it went and I started taking stuff apart. What I
found was that where the cat adapter connects to the cat pipe had
developed a leak. Carbon all around the outsides of the joint. It was
my fault since I didn't drive the adapter all the way into the cat pipe
when I installed my headers months ago. So I took everything loose aft
of the 02 sensor and hammered the adapter fully into the pipe like it
should have been in the first place, then tightened the exhaust clamp as
tight as I could get it without popping a vein in my forehead. When I
put it all back to gether this gave me a *little* clearance from where
it was banging. Not much more than an 1/8" but it's a start. No more
banging. But here is the bonus I didn't count on. I now have torque
out the wazoo. Drives like a different truck off the line. Lately I
had been thinking how the power curve had moved mainly into the upper
rpm band. Wasn't until after 3 grand that it really started to cook. I
thought it was because of the mods. Well I gues what it was was that
exhaust leak was giving me a much freer flowing exhaust than what was
good for it. Wish I would have known this before I ran the quarter...

--
----
  Michael Clark            mike@snakebite.com