tonneau covers

From: Jerry Jackson (jacksonj@cyberramp.net)
Date: Wed Apr 08 1998 - 23:00:48 EDT

For those of you considering tonneau covers of any type (hard, soft),
realize that the truck beds are not square. They also flex. The
companies that manufacture tonneaus supply "L" brackets which get
installed in the inside corners to help. Any kind of cover which uses a
clamp in frame to install the cover may have fitment problems (such as
the Champion brand). And, if you ever remove the assembly, it will not
type that "lift out" of the permanently attached mounting bracket.

Ever wonder why the over-the-top caps have so much gap between them and
the body? It's the flex - so you don't get little paint rubs. I had a
dealer installed cap that moved around (a bolted-on installation) enough
on a two day trip between California and Texas to rub little circles in
the paint. Get a brand that has ample clearance between the edge of the
cover and the bed panel. Otherwise, adjust installation, touch-up paint
and hope for the best. They do move, and I wonder how much of a seal is
achieved with any type of flush fit frame.