Exhaust Pipe Size?

From: hkusp40578@cs.fredonia.edu
Date: Sun Apr 12 1998 - 18:03:27 EDT

I own a 93 Dakota 4x4 with the 3.9 V6. My exhaust is shot and needs to be
repalced. I need to know from anyone out there if a 3 inch exhaust(before
and after muffler)is too large of OD pipe for my V6. I have heard that 3
inch pipe will decrease backpressure so much that power will actually be
lost!! I know the 318's can handle 3 inch pipe but I am curious about 3
inch pipe and V6's. Also, any V6 owners out there put an aftermarket
exhaust on their Dakota 4x4 and notice any gains or improvements??? I know
that Gibson's exhaust is 3 inch anyone try it?? I also know that Dynomax's
Super Turbo System is 2 3/4's, anyone try it??? Any exhaust suggestions are
greatly appreciated!!