CC subwoofer enclosure

From: Stephan Boianoff (sboianoff@mdc.com)
Date: Mon Apr 13 1998 - 10:46:28 EDT

I finished the subwoofer enclosure in my '98 club cab & I thought I would
let everyone know how it went. My goals were to be able to fit all audio
equipment under the rear bench & still have it functional. I don't plan on
ever really having anyone back there, but this gives a nice stealth look
when my truck is parked. I accomplished these goals, and it looks pretty
good. This is the run down.

I used two JL Audio 8W1-8 subs in separate 0.25 ft^3 sealed enclosures
run in parallel off of an Alpine T-301 amp w/ built in x-over bridged mono.
 The bass isn't overpowering, but that's not what I'm about. I've done the
mega-watt system before, and didn't find it to be worth the trouble. This
setup sounds good, and is more than enough for accurate reproduction
in a club cab pickup.

The front edge of the seat is raised up about 2" from stock, but you'd
really have to look to see it. The enclosures are one on each side of the
center hump, and the amp rack fills the gap between them. This is all
constructed of 0.75" MDF (fiberglass would have probably been easier,
and given slightly more interior air volume, but I am more confident in my
carpentry skills). The trick part of the install is the trim pieces. I made
one trim piece for the face (the part seen when the seats are folded
down), and a second trim piece for the top (of the enclosures). The top
piece has notches for the seat belts (like the stock storage piece does),
tear drop shaped cutouts around the subs (to show the textured tops of
the enclosures), and a ram's head logo cutout over the amp rack (for
cooling and looks). These are constructed of 0.5" MDF and covered with
a contrasting textured paint.

If anyone is interested in pictures, e-mail me direct and I'll send them to
you.

stephan.m.boianoff@boeing.com