Radar Jammers Revisited

From: Mike Crumley (mcrumley@airmail.net)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 13:32:57 EDT

I was at a local custom parts place yesterday and happened to notice a box
in the display counter that said Phoenix (brand name) Radar and Laser
Jammer. I asked the owner about it and he said it was indeed a jammer for
police radar and laser units. He wasn't real clear about the technicalities
of how it worked, but said it was a passive unit (doesn't send out any
signals of its own) but rather absorbed the radar or laser energy causing
the police unit to show a blank screen. The unit was smaller than a
cigarette pack and it's kind of hard to imagine that something that small
stuck on the windshield or dash could actually do that, but the guy swore
that it worked. He said that it was mainly effective at long range and that
closer than about 100 yards (meters for our Canadian friends) the police
could get a lock on even with the unit. Used in conjunction with a good
radar/laser detector it's said to provide the ultimate in protection, even
from "instant on" units.

Has any one else heard of this product or have and first hand experience
with it?

--
Mike Crumley  mcrumley@airmail.net
97 Dakota  Regular Cab  Short Bed