Re: phat grilles -Reply

From: Stephan Boianoff (sboianoff@mdc.com)
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 08:39:02 EDT

If you are talking about the Speed Grille, why pay $130 for theirs when
you are going to need to modify it anyway? A freind and I made a similar
grill for his truck using perforated aluminum sheeting. This is what we
did:

1. Make 1" thick wood templates slightly smaller than the openings in
your grille.
2. Lay the sheet aluminum over the templates as straight as you can.
3. Cut out the pieces ~1.5" larger than the templates all the way around.
4. Carefully bend (hammer) the sheeting over the template.
5. Figure out and drill mounting points.
6. Polish the aluminum.
7. Spray with a good automotive clear coat.
8. Install.

It turned out great and only cost ~$35.

If you don't want the 3-D look, you could always just use a flat piece of
perforated aluminum sheet behind the grill. Very simple. Just don't forget
to polish and clear coat.

Steve

>>> Michael Z-Sykes <MSykes@su.edu> 04/15/98 09:03am >>>
Hey, has anyone seen that new type of grille in Truckin'? The one that is
on the Street Scene S10? DO you think I could adapt one of those to fit
my 88' Dak? That would be an interesting look!
-mike sykes
88V6LE3.55AUTO

hey Lance, this is right up your alley hoss- =)