Re: Exterior cab light ?

From: rbt@frontiernet.net
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 19:16:10 EDT

> From: "L. J. Morris" <ljohn@alltel.net>

> Hey folks;
>
> Just remembered something that has bothered me for some time. What the hell
> was CC thinking when they designed the exterior cab light to turn on after
> the interior lights?
>
> Obviously when the interior lights are on you can't see a damn thing out the
> back window, when you turn on the exterior cab light to see if your trailer
> or whatever is still hooked on in the dark. I also have a carrier assembly
> that I built for in the box receiver and at nite it would be nice to turn on
> the ext. cab light to take a peek in the mirror, but with the int. lights
> on, it is futile.
>
> Any suggestions?

When I read this I had to check it as I've only used the bed light once
so far to quickly fetch something at night from the bed after jumping
out and then twisting the switch. As the interior light is on a time delay
 after getting out I just attributed it to this, but I now see what
you mean!

Some safety person probably figured that people would leave the light
on while driving (blinding following vehicles) so maybe they figured
to use the interior light as a reminder. Then again, maybe it was just not
a well thought out design.

In any event, in the past while faced with similar oversights I've
"re-engineered" things "my way" with on of those push-push type
switches from Radio Shack that I put under the dash (like near where
 the hood release is). Just get out the schematic and perform "bypass surgery" :-).

I know I'm going to provide a bypass switch for the clutch interlock
mechanism on the Dak and this sounds like candidate number 2. I've also
had a switch in the past to defeat the "you forgot you keys chime" for
when I wanted to swing the doors open and listen to some tunes for a bit.

"the re-engineered Dodge" ! :-)

-BobT. '98 CC Sport+ 4X4 V8 3.55 5sp 4WABS