Re: Re: Air Filter Box

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 22 1998 - 02:18:26 EDT

At 08:41 PM 4/21/98 -0400, you wrote:
> Tate Wrote:
>> Very interested. Sorry, you'll have to treat me
>> like the village idiot here - "floor register"??
>
>Tate,
> I see you figured it out. Man this truck runs
>great! The air box mod seems to have really helped.
>Looks factory (well maybe everything but the floor register).
>The truck use to run out of breath noticeably at about
>4500 RPM but now just keeps pulling. Defiantly feels
>a lot quicker. Next mod comes via UPS Thursday,
>Jacob's Pro Street Ignition with coil, wires & energy
>Pak. Purchased Brass cap & rotor from Napa Auto
>parts today Cap was $9.49 Rotor $3.29. Still looking
>into electric fans. Hopefully I'll get to the track soon
>and see what this R/T will do.

   I was quoted the same price for the cap and rotor at
the local NAPA here. Anyone know how they compare to an
Accel cap and rotor? Or who really makes the NAPA piece?

  Have you had the truck out to the track yet? There are two
people on this list who both lost 2 tenths in the 1/4 after
installing aftermarket ignitions. One was MSD, the other
was Jacobs. Based on that, you might want to run your truck
with your stock ignition, and then run it with the Jacobs.
You might be unpleasantly surprised. (Hopefully not, but
you never know...)

   Based on these experiences, I have been recomended to change
out the wires, cap, rotor, and coil, but leave the ignition alone
as long as possible. (And that's what I'm gonna do.) Once I get
nitrous, I'll need the 6A in order to retard the timing, but when
it gets installed, I will be watching it VERY closely. If I go
slower like others have, I'll be installing a switch to be able to
run the stock ignition when not on the juice.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---.
  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT Club Cab, '96 Kolb FireFly 447 (#FF019) |
   I do not speak for the SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.