Engine Break In before Racing (was: More fun with OBII)

From: Jeff Lee (jlee@atlanta.nsc.com)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 09:25:03 EDT

Psi363 wrote:

> bolts on that will work without ruining the way the truck runs. I don't have
> a baseline time slip yet but I should before the weekend is out, right now it
> is completely stock, just turned 800 miles.

Wow. Only 800 miles on it and your going to the strip this weekend? I
assume it still has the factory installed oil and filter.

Maybe I'm just overly conservative (read paranoid), but is it ok to take
an engine near redline before its somewhat broken in? I'm talking about
at least 2000 miles of initial break in and maybe an oil/filter change.
I found that my engine/trans seemed to loosen up dramatically between
1000-3000 miles, and seems more peppy than when I first got it.

On the other hand, running that baby up to the red will surely make some
progress on seating those rings...

I'm sure that this will start another philosophical discussion...

jeff
98 rc 4x2 v8 5spd 3.55sg flares fipk