Ignition (Hey, Jon!)

From: Stephan Boianoff (sboianoff@mdc.com)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 09:30:18 EDT

Hey Jon, I=27m not sure this is going to be any help, but I=27ll tell you =
about my experience when I was researching to upgrade my ignition. I was =
looking into MSD & Jacobs. The more people I talked to, the more =
different answers I got, but the slight majority seemed to believe that =
the Jacobs setup would be better for a daily driven street vehicle (Here =
we go=21) Now keep in mind, I only asked the places that carried both =
what their opinions were as I wouldn=27t expect someone that only carries =
MSD to recommend the Jacobs. =20
So, I ordered the Jacobs. Specifically, I ordered the =237 Custom Magnum =
Team. This includes the contol/coil unit, a secondary trigger unit, and a =
set of 8.5mm wires. The installation was very simple. No factory wires =
had to be cut. Actually, the only things that need to be changed from =
stock are the wires (ignition & coil) and the plugs need to be re-gapped.
BTW, Jacobs does not recommend using =22fancy=22 plugs with their system. =
I don=27t know if MSD is the same, but you may want to check. Also, you =
can go back to the stock ignition system by swapping out one wire.
The igniton/coil unit came with a new 8.5mm coil wire as did the wire set. =
 So, I actually have extra. By the way, these wires are very nice. They =
are vulcanized as one piece, and are totally dirt, water, etc. -proof. =
Just be very careful rolling them into the factory separators. It can be =
done, but don=27t rush it. I=27m sure the same goes for the MSD 8.5=27s.
My stock coil is also at the passenger front of the engine compartment, =
and the stock wire is only about 2.25=27 long. It takes a pretty direct =
path to the stock distributor at the center rear of the engine compartment.=

Anyway, I don=27t know if any of this helps, but I thought I would let you =
know. My truck seems to pull (accelerate) a little better & harder since =
the installation, and I realized about a 1mpg increase (not what they =
claim, but better than nothing.)
If you would like to know anything else, let me know.

Stephan M. Boianoff
stephan.m.boianoff=40boeing.com
=A198 CC Sport, 4X2, V8, 5-speed, 3.55, pretty much loaded
FABM, Jacob=A2s =237 Custom Magnum Team, Borla =2314740 Cat-Back,=20
SnugLid, MOPAR under-rail liner, Protecta HD mat, SSE Street Hitch,
Hoppy T-Connect lights, Husky Floor Liners, custom tunes... =20

 =20

  .=20

 =20
 =20