Re: magnetic oil drain plugs

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 24 1998 - 17:08:22 EDT

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, STRICKLAND, Tate wrote:

> Well I changed my oil yesterday for the first time after installing a
> magnetic drain plug (first vehicle I've ever used one on). No big
> particles, but there was an evenly spread coating a few thousandths thick
> of metallic cream/dust - whatever you want to call it - covering the
> magnet. Even though it was way too fine to feel any consistency , the
> point is that there was metal stuck to it that would have otherwise been
> floating around in my motor. Anyway, it seems to have done its job
> admirably. Gives me a little more peace of mind when I'm crankin' through
> those gears with my right foot pounding through the floorboard.
>
> Tate

  I just installed one on my last oil change. (Haven't changed the
oil yet, so I won't know if there's any sediment on it or not for
a couple thousand miles.)

  I got mine from Summit. The only thing I don't like about it
is that it has less than half the thread of the stock drain plug.
Hopefully it'll stay in there.

                                              -Jon-

  | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, RP-SEL |
  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (15.34@89.10), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |