RE: Four links explained...

From: Lance Martz (LanceM@mcmullenargus.com)
Date: Tue Apr 28 1998 - 19:08:01 EDT

how can i get a 4 link for my air bag set up???
Lance Martz wrote:
> Four link rear suspension eliminates the possiblity of axle
wrap. If
> you've ever been behind a 4x4 taking off from a light and saw
the leaf
> springs twist with the rear end, then you know what axle wrap
is. The
> rear end is mounted via four links to the forward frame as
well as a
> Panhard bar that eliminates side-to-side movement. Used with a
coil-over
> shock, this is the most commonly used method of suspension in
pro drag
> racing. Used with an air bag (Firestone air springs, not the
innards of
> your steering wheel) and stiff shocks, you have unlimited
adjustability
> of the rear ride height as well as a soft air ride.

First, to do a 4-link, you've got to ace your leaf springs. You'll no
longer need them. The best four links are done by removing the gas tank
and re-locating it to the rear frame section. This improves the weight
distribution in trucks and means better handling and traction. Next,
you'll get a kit from TCI (Total Cost Involved) and install. Install a
new fuel tank or fuel cell and plumb the new tank to the fuel lines
which will have to be extended for use. You may find this better done by
a street rod or race shop that deals with race chassis on a regular
basis.