Re: Engine Oil Leak

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Tue Apr 28 1998 - 19:23:11 EDT

If you are interested, check the archives for a post I made about this
several months back (search by author). I lost my '93 318 V8 Dakota SLT
CC after the dealer "fixed" this problem. Always striving to keep my
vehicles spotless and performing as much maintenance as I can handle, I
was surprised when I noticed a drop of oil on the garage floor at the
rear of the engine. I took the truck to the CC dealer immediately. The
problem was a defective O ring at the distributor. It was not covered by
the warranty, but I didn't want an oil leak or anything not operating
properly so I told them to fix it and clean any residual oil, if any,
off the engine. After I drove the truck approximately 10 miles from the
dealership to my home after their "repair," the engine burst into flames,
the hood release cable melted and I could not get under the hood to put
out the fire. My previously unblemished DAK (the insurance adjuster could
not believe that there were no scratches, dings or dents on the truck)
was destroyed form the firewall(what an appropriate name) forward. The
truck had less than 12k on the odometer and ran great.

Though I didn't think my insurance should have to pay for the loss, they
did. The residual value of the truck was so great that I was able to buy
a brand new '95 SLT CC with all of the same features plus the newest
standard features that came with it like the gas shocks and airrbag, for
$49.57 over the insurance settlement!

However, I still believe the dealer was responsible for the fire. I don't
know how they screwed up a fuel line while working on the distributor,
but they certainly did a fine job of it. Had there been a leak prior to
their involvement, I would have noticed it and surely, working that close
to the engine they would have noticed another opportunity to charge me
for another repair. Needless to say, my next DAK did not come from them
and I steer everyone I know far from them.

Get it fixed, but beware!

RIchard in San Antonio

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]