Re: MTL viscosity?

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri May 01 1998 - 10:48:27 EDT

> I'm interested in changing my manual transmission fluid to
> Redline. They seem to have two versions

> MTL. - a 75W/80W GL-4 gear oil

> MT-90 - a 75W90 GL-4 gear oil

> Which one should I run in my NV3500?

  Well, you do know that Dodge specifies one and only one lube for the
NV3500, and that is the expensive factory stuff. Problem is that because
of this, there are no detailed specifications available on this lube in
the FSM (viscosity, other ratings).

  What I would do if I were you is dig around and find some information
on the specified Chrysler NV3500 lubricant, and then match the specs with
your favorite synthetic equivalent.

  And please share your findings with the list; there are more of us
driving sticks than Will would like to admit. ;)

  Hasn't the GL specification gone up to GL-5? I thought that I saw some
Mobil 1 lube claiming GL-5.

  Ron